I was asked by the teacher I work for (Gerry Teel) who is the boys/girls Golf coach to create a cake for the Muskie Cake Auction at the high school last night. The theme...Golf. The design...the 13th hole at the Municipal Golf Course. I had never even seen the hole before, so I was a bit freaked out about that, but I had also never made a double sheet cake 2 layers high, so I was
really freaking out about that! Gerry took me on a little trip to the Golf Course at the beginning of the week, and visually seeing it helped tremendously. It's their signature hole, and it has water most the way around it. I began making my cakes on Wednesday night, and I took a personal day from work on Thursday to create the cake. Good thing I did because it took the entire day! Thank goodness for the island in my kitchen or I don't think I would have been able to do a cake this big, and I definitely wouldn't have pulled it off without Steve. He made me a plastic white piece to put in the golf hole to look like a cup, and he cut my board to carry it on, and he helped me staple the white plastic cover over the board, and without him I never would have gotten it in my truck. I was so tired by the time I finished, and I felt like I was covered in a layer of powdered sugar, but I felt accomplished. It seemed like I put my head down on my pillow and closed my eyes for a few minutes and it was morning already! The cake was big, and I was scared to drive anywhere with it, but I made it through dropping Gage off at the bus stop, taking Drake to Becky's, delivering cupcakes to Gage's school, going to work, and then delivering it to the high school without any damage. I was so relieved once it was out of my hands! They added a Bridgestone golf club and a pack of golf balls with the cake, so Mr. Teel was going to take some extra pictures for me at the auction. I am curious to see how the auction went, and I am hoping that my cake helped in raising some money...any money! Completely nerve racking!
So here is the finished product. I was so wrapped up in getting the cake in the back of my truck safely and having a cover ready to go over it that I forgot to take pictures until after I had it loaded up, so this is the best pic I have!
3 comments:
aren't you awesome! you did a fantastic job!
-shayla
Thanks!!!Soooo nerve racking!!! I don't think I ever want to do it again!! Wasn't a good idea to take on such a big cake for my first time! I must say, it really did look good in person, though!! :)
Oh my gosh! That looks awesome! You did a great job! You should be proud, Jean.
Post a Comment